This Cross of Nails was made from some of the thousands of nails which fell from the roof of the Abbey Church of St Michael’s, Coventry, England when it was bombed on November 14, 1940. The Cross, which was presented to the Cathedral, is on the Canon’s stall at the left of the chancel steps by the pulpit.
The Cross of Nails is a very powerful and inspirational worldwide symbol of reconciliation and peace. After World War II, Crosses of Nails were presented to Kiel, Dresden and Berlin, cities shattered by Allied bombing. Out of the ashes grew a trust and partnership between Coventry and the German cities.
There are now 160 Cross of Nails Centres around the world, all emanating from this early, courageous vision, and all working for peace and reconciliation within their own communities and countries. This has no boundaries: it may focus on issues of politics, race, religion, economics, sexual orientation or personal. It can have broad and far-reaching, national consequences, or it can make just a small – nonetheless significant – difference to people’s lives. Centres can be churches, reconciliation centres, prisons, NGOs and schools, any body of people who have a heart and a need to pursue reconciliation in their own lives and the lives of others.