Bishop's Chair

The Latin word for chair is cathedra, which gives its name to the place where the Bishop’s chair is housed: a Cathedral. The refurbished chair was the first Bishop’s Chair in the Diocese used by The Right Reverend Charles John Abraham, DD (1st Bishop of Wellington, 1858 – 1870).

It is made of heart rimu and has the diocesan crest mounted high over the back and also embroidered on the kneeler and cushion.

cathedra.jpg